WordPress, once mostly considered a “blogging platform,” is now a VERY popular website development platform.
About 30% of the websites on the Internet are now using WordPress. 30% of over a billion… you do the math, it’s BIG.
That big of a number has become a huge target that gets the attention of hackers.
One easy way you can make it a bit more difficult for hackers to get into YOUR WordPress website is to “move the front door.”
The “front door” I’m talking about here is front door to your back-end WordPress administration, also known as the “Dashboard.”
Access by default is typically found at yourdomain.com/wp-admin
Moving the default admin login is a simple, easy, and effective first line of defense in keeping hackers out of your WordPress website.
The way to do this easily and quickly is with a WordPress plugin. We recommend WPS Hide Login by Remy Perona (WPServeur) and installing it should take less than 10 minutes.
You’ll find it in the WordPress repository here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wps-hide-login/
This plugin meets our BEST PRACTICES criteria for a good plugin with 100,000+ installs and a solid number of 5 STAR ratings.
Installation is straight-forward like you would expect from most good WordPress plugins.
- Login to WordPress as an Administrator
- From the Dashboard…
- Go to Plugins › Add New
- Search for WPS Hide Login by Remy Perona for WPServeur
- Download and activate it
- The page should redirect you to the settings for the plugin
- If not go to Dashboard > Plugins > Active Plugins
- Change your login URL, it’s the last option in the Settings for the plugin
- Write it down!
- You can change this new login URL location any time you want
- Go to: Plugins > Select WPS Hide Login from your list of plugins > Settings
- If you ever forget your new WordPress login location delete the plugin via your website hosting CPanel (file manager) and you’ll be back to the default administrator login location <yoursite.com>/wp-admin
Do this and your WordPress website is better protected from hackers than most WordPress websites.
Need help? Open a HELP DESK TICKET (for association members only).